3 Tips for Choosing the Right Criminal Defense Attorney
If you have been charged with a crime, it is your constitutional right as a criminal defendant to choose your own attorney. It is important to take the time to find the right St. Louis criminal defense attorney that meets your legal needs, as the assistance of a lawyer can have a significant impact on the outcome of your case.
Below are three tips to consider when seeking a criminal defense attorney:
1. Find an Attorney Focused on Criminal Law
The attorney you select should have a strong understanding of how the law affects your case. Specifically, if you are being charged for a crime in St. Louis, you should seek a Missouri-licensed attorney with significant experience and familiarity with the law and type of case at issue.
For example, if you are facing stealing charges, it is critical that your lawyer has a strong background in handling cases involving property crimes. Additionally, your attorney’s experience with theft cases will prepare them to build your case and consider an applicable defense such as consent.
You can conduct research on the law firm and read about an attorney’s biography and background. You can assess whether the attorney focuses on criminal law and has dealt with cases related to your legal matter. An experienced attorney can best provide you with your legal options.
2. Find a Thorough Attorney
A thorough criminal defense attorney is critical to your case as they would pay close attention to the details of your case and be sure you meet critical deadlines. Such an organized and detail-oriented attorney would carefully investigate the facts of your matter and analyze the applicable law and available defenses.
3. Seek a Consultation
A consultation with an experienced St. Louis criminal defense attorney provides you an opportunity to meet face to face with your potential legal representative and ask questions.
Meeting with your attorney in person or over the phone will allow you to:
- Discuss your possible criminal defense case.
- Share the specifics of your case and available evidence.
- Interact with the attorney and see firsthand if the attorney is a good fit for your legal needs,
- Hear the attorney’s informed recommendation and legal options for your circumstances.
Importantly, take this time to ask questions that will help you decide whether you are interested in having them represent your criminal defense case.
Questions to ask a Personal Injury Attorney
- Ask about the attorney’s availability: you need your criminal defense attorney’s diligence and full involvement to prepare effectively for your case.
- Ask about fees: ask about the retainer fee and fee structure so that you understand how much you will owe and when fees are due. Be sure to ask for his information in writing.
- Ask about the attorney’s Success with criminal defense cases: Although previous outcomes are no guarantee with respect to the results of your case, asking about previous successes can be informative.
Contact a St. Louis Criminal Defense Attorney!
The experienced attorneys at Bruntrager & Billings, P.C are committed defending and protecting your legal interests. We have the knowledge and skills to walk you through the complex criminal justice system and your criminal matter. Get started today by reaching us at 314-646-0066 to schedule a consultation.