Will Uber Pay for Your Accident-Related Injuries?
Uber and similar ride-sharing companies have significantly changed the way that many people in the St. Louis area get from place to place. The ability to order a ride on-demand from your smartphone has made getting around the city much easier and more convenient. Unfortunately, Uber drivers can get into accidents just like anyone else, often leaving victims with severe injuries that can cause significant economic and non-economic losses.
In the unfortunate event that you have been hurt in an accident involving an Uber, you may be wondering if you can recover compensation from Uber itself. As is often the case with legal questions, the answer is that it depends on the circumstances under which your accident took place. If your crash was the result of the Uber driver’s negligence, Uber’s insurance will cover your losses if the driver was actively acting as an Uber driver at the time the accident took place.
Uber’s Insurance Coverage
Uber carries significant insurance coverage that has higher limits than most consumer policies. For this reason, it is typically a good idea to pursue a claim against Uber’s commercial policy whenever possible. As mentioned above, Uber’s coverage depends on what a driver is doing at the time an accident takes place:
- When the driver has the app off, his or her own insurance coverage applies
- If the driver has the app on and is waiting for a ride request, Uber provides 3rd party liability coverage for $50,000 in bodily injury per person, $100,000 per accident, and $25,000 in property damage per accident
- If the driver is en route to pick up riders or is actively providing a ride, Uber’s provides $1,000,000 in 3rd party liability coverage, uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury, and contingent comprehensive and collision coverage
Protecting Your Rights after an Uber Accident
No one plans on getting hurt in a crash, but you should be ready to take steps to protect your legal rights if you are. Some of the most important things to do after an accident involving an Uber include the following:
- Call the police. It’s important that they respond to the scene of the accident and determine whether any laws were violated and document the wreck.
- Seek medical attention as soon as you can, and attend all follow-up appointments
- Avoid social media while your case is pending
- Do not accept a settlement offer before consulting with an attorney
- Call an experienced Uber accident lawyer as soon as you can
Call Us Today to Schedule a Free Case Evaluation with a St. Louis Uber Accident Lawyer
If you have been hurt in an accident involving an Uber, Lyft, or another ride-sharing vehicle, you should speak to an attorney as soon as you can. At Bruntrager & Billings, we know how to get injured victims the compensation to which they are entitled and are qualified to go up against the largest companies in the United States. To schedule a free case evaluation with an Uber accident attorney in St. Louis, call our office today at 314-645-0066 or contact us online.